The best observation I have experienced this semester was book shopping. When I initially heard the students were about to shop for books I immediately assumed the book fair was at the school, but to my surprise the class "shopped" for books in the classroom. The teacher had organized the books in three different bins which were according to reading levels. The students were then called on and told what bin to pick from. The students selected 6 books: 3 to take home, 3 to put in their reading own reading bin (for read & relax time). At the end of the week the students would switch and take the three books at home to school and the three books at school home and then the cycle began again. Each book had an index card in the back and the student had to remove it put their name and date on the card. After that the index card went into a pocket with their name on it.
I really liked this book shopping idea, the students seemed to really like it and get excited about it. I believe whenever you can get a child excited about reading then you have succeeded as a teacher.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting!!