Wednesday, March 11, 2009

What grade to teach, that is the question

All though subbing high school has taken me out of "the land of the little people" (as Dr. Duncan says) it has also taught me to appreciate teaching on all levels. As I was observing this week at Partnership Elementary, I learned that I think I want to get licensed in k-12.
At Partnership Elementary I get side tracked every time I observe because the entire first grade is divided up into four sections in one big long room. I can hear the other teachers teaching and it gets so distracting. The kids and the teacher I am observing don't seem to notice. I really wonder how the teachers overcame this problem at the beginning of the year (this is going to be my first question of the teacher interview).
So now that I am all mixed up on what grade I want to teach, I think I will go sub in a middle school (:, if only they will call me.
Again I encourage all future teachers to sub, tutor, and observe as many as grades as possible.
(: Have a great day!

6 comments:

  1. I think it is really great that you are subbing and it has made me want to give it a try. Also, I can't even imagine trying to focus in a room full of 80 some elementary students and there 4 teachers. Are there any assistants? Please let me know what your teacher tells you when you ask her how she learned to deal with their room situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved hearing that you subbed in high school over spring break! I think you should give middle school a chance. If you cannot substitute, you should at least go observe a couple of classes. I used to sub before I started at Meredith. I always knew I wanted to teach, but after subbing in grades K-5, I realized that this is one purpose of my life: to make a difference in the life of a child through teaching. Initially, I chose to teach 2nd grade, but once Miranda hit 7th grade, I began to really connect with her friends. So now I am going to teach middle school! I love this age group. Let me know if you get to observe somewhere. I would be happy to help you out in any way possible. Keep Smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think subbing is a great idea to do before we become actual teachers and I'm glad you had such a positive experience with it! I definitely want to try subbing for an elementary school at least once within the next year. I think it would be a great way to either A) get myself feeling confident about student teaching and/or B)get myself warmed up the summer before I start teaching on my own. I hope you find the right grade for you to teach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with being involved in the schools before you make a final decision. I am going to take your advise and really get into the classrooms for a full day. I think it is great that you have been given the opportunity to do that. I want to try and sub for an elementary school sometime soon. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am here to vouch for the middle school crowd! I have NEVER understood why at nearly every teachers/teaching presentation the question "Who here is 6-9 licensure," is followed by: "Wow, you're crazy." Good. I'm glad nearly everyone (teachers and parents alike) thinks I'm crazy. That just means more middle school kids for me!

    Middle school is the brink of a student's educational career; children are like sponges at this age. They have finally come to the understanding that knowledge is power and they are dealing with the decision of whether or not they care to use the power that each of them is inherently granted. They are begining to see that adults made their favorite childhood films, and are able to laugh at a few of the jokes smartly placed out of youngsters' intellecutal reach. They don't get all of the jokes though, which makes your job fun. Basically, you can laugh at your own jokes all day, and they will think you are cool. Middle school kids have problems that make you smile, not cry (well, for the most part). They are so serious about that girl that glared at them in the hall, and you have to be serious too, for them. But you can smile to yourself about it later. It's great.

    They still like to color, but they can handle NOT coloring for a day of classwork as well.

    If you give them a lolipop, they will give you their heart in whatever assignment you ask them to turn in.

    Gosh, I love those little guys.
    Can't wait.

    (Give it a try, Jaime ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness, you've sparked initiative in everyone and rec'd some great advice from two of our resident experts (aka- crazy people, j/k Kristin) in middle/secondary!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!!